The guest lecture by Microsoft was quite exciting for me as this was the first I saw how Windows 8 looked like. It's nice to have an operating system that can provide both good desktop and tablet experience. Frankly speaking, I really like Surface and I think I'll get one when it's release.
However, there are still some problems. Although the speaker has emphasized several times that you can install and enjoy the system even if you don't have a touch screen(like most of current PCs and laptops), we all know that the experience of using a mouse is very different from that of touching. Therefore as a system that has some special design for touch screen, it's still not very clear whether users who are not using touch screens will find it inconvenient to use some features.
For Kinect, well, I'm not sure whether it's a good idea to introduce it to desktop applications, but for games, I prefer Wii and PS3 to Xbox. Regarding good game experience, I believe it's not enough to get only visual feedback, which the only thing Kinect games provide. Yes, Kinect looks fancy and for dancing games, it's enough(well, I would say you can dance without it). But for other game types, like action games, I wouldn't be satisfied if let's say in the game I'm swinging a sword but in reality I feel nothing in my hand - the physical feedback is important. Also, currently it's still impossible to perform some complicated without a controller, but the Xbox controller does not fit with Kinect well - you hands are limited when holding the controller.
1 comment:
Yeah unfortunate downsides to the Kinect. I'm actually much more interested in the Kinect for sensing the environment. There are interesting projects that combine a Kinect with quadrotor helicopters to map a room.
Post a Comment