2012/08/11

What I hope to learn in CS3216

Many people said I am good at programming. However, life is not so simple: having good programming skills does not qualify me as a good software engineer. To create a successful software, I need to know more about how to define the right problem, how to manage the project, how to choose to right guys to work with, etc.
Being a smart guy, I of course knew these things very early and have read books like The Mythical Man-Month when I was in high school. Unfortunately, I forgot the knowledge I lent from the books quickly after I stopped reading this kind of books - just like coding, to master the skills and have long time memory of the knowledge, there is no better way than learning from real projects. CS3216 provides me with such chances. I heard from a ex-student that the course is all about projects - you got to work on read stuff. With these projects, I think I will have plenty of practice on these software engineering skills: project management, communication and so on. I hope I can make full use of this opportunity and have a good understanding of the skills when I finish the course.

1 comment:

Polar said...

I think through this course you will be able to complement your coding skills with design skills and an eye for business. Or at least work with people with those skills. :)

Colin.